vBulletin 4x – We Want More – ASAP!?

vBulletin 4x – We Want More – ASAP!? Or do we?

Let’s take a look back and do a quick review.

First we get the release of vBulletin 4.0 Gold. This build of vB 4.0.0 is plagued with bugs and known issues, yet it’s still released. Then we get vB 4.0.0 PL1, which is a release patch to fix a newly discovered exploit. This takes us to vB 4.0.1, which is a “maintenance release” that fixed 200+ bugs.
Finally, this brings us to 4.0.2, which was supposed to have been released February 4th, 2010 (now delayed).

The mentality used by IB is amusing, but not at all surprising. Instead of focusing on releasing a solid, stable build, they are merely pumping out versions as quickly as they can, and releasing them prematurely, even when they are clearly not ready to be deployed due to known bugs.

Only now with the delay of the 4.0.2 release have they actually held off releasing it to provide a more “quality” build. Maybe they finally learned their lesson that quality > quantity? We’ll soon find out.

@IB, you disappoint me, yet again. Dare I say, we told you so?
I would highly suggest you take a page out of the old vB team and focus on building a quality product. The old Jelsoft actually valued and knew the importance of releasing a solid build instead of just releasing as many, and bug filled versions as they could.

  • http://clubbleach.org Sarteck

    Screw the “quality” they want for their release.

    Seriously, it’s, “primarily issues related to RTL languages and IE browsers.” Whoop-de-crap, tbh I don’t give two turds about the other side of the globe, so they can take their RTL language problems and just release an extra patch for them. As for IE issues, fuck… It’s IE, of course it will have issues. Again, release a patch when it’s done.

    They’re the one’s that started down this idiot’s path, first with the private Beta, then with the “Gold” that shouldn’t have even been a RC (BECAUSE of their Private Beta). If they’re going to release an unfinished product, they should at least give us updates as they’re planned to be ready.

    To be perfectly honest, though, I just cannot see them not releasing 4.0.2 because of the problems they mentioned–I believe they just put more on their plate than they could handle. I can guarantee that when 4.0.2 comes out, it’ll create a shitload of new issues.

    We’ll probably only get a REAL 4.0 release when 4.1 comes out. For all intents and purposes, I can’t honestly consider the crap we have now to even be out of Beta.